Biography: Mrs Mantsopa Leboela is the current Director of Parks and Recreation. She joined Maseru City Council in 2006 as a Parks Superitendent. Her responsibilities include, but not limited, City beautification & landscaping, parks maintenance, upkeep of cemeteries, pounds, and recreational activities for community. She holds a Bachelor of Agriculture from the university of the Orange Free State(UOFS)
The main activities of the horticulture section are as follows:
- To produce and provide flowers, trees and shrubs seedlings for landscaping purposes.
- To revive and maintain Parks in the City with appropriate plant species
- To survey for landscaping all MCC Parks, open spaces, private premises and Government complexes as well.
Names of cemeteries manned directly by Maseru City Council’s
- Bots’abelo cemetery
- Motlakaseng cemetery
- Katlehong cemetery
- Abia cemetery
- Qoaling cemetery
- Thibella cemetery
- Thetsane cemetery
Activities that are done by the cemetery section
- Identification of suitable burial site/cemeteries
- Allocation of graves
- Formulation and implementation of layouts plans for cemeteries
- Numbering and registration of graves
- Routine inspection of cemetery sites
- Supervision and carrying out exhumation whenever necessary Planting trees and flowers within the cemeteries
- Prevention of soil erosion
- Collection of revenue
Activities involved are:
- Impounding of stray and trespassing animals
- Maintenance of pounds (liaising with livestock division of the Ministry of Agriculture) in conducting livestock census in the city.
- Encourage stable feeding
- Advice on stock carrying capacity for house holds
Everyone should consult with the Department before any operation.
Activities involved are:
- To carry regular lawn mowing at MCC Parks and grounds
- To do brush cutting along main roads and cemetery sites
- Inspection of trees for the public
- Tree felling of obstructing trees on roads and private sites
- Supervise urban forestry
- To repair and maintain Parks and Recreation machinery and equipment
Generally it is the council’s responsibility to inspect the obstructing and the trees that need to be felled.
- To provide recreation services to the residents of the Maseru Municipality through allocation and hire of halls, parks and grounds much to their desires and demands.
- To identify and assess recreational needs of the communities within the municipal area through recreation related research.
- Maintain and rehabilitate the existing centers by ensuring cleanliness and decoration in the form of flower planting, paintings and art work.
- Conduct training sessions and workshops for youth groups that are in operation in the municipal boundary e.g. provide winter and summer classes where youth could be inducted on values of recreation.
- Coordinate recreation activities with private organization, government agencies, international agencies, cultural groups and community based groups.
- Publicize and advertise recreation services through media, i.e. radio slot availed to Maseru City Council, newsletters e.g. Pitsong — press releases, television programmes etc. in order to create more awareness and education on recreation to the public.
- Promote good health of the residents of Maseru Municipality by offering leisure, sport and recreation programmes.
- Produce and implement a recreation policy that will serve as a guideline for execution of recreation activities and programmes by Maseru City Council.